Who else wants to see what a wedding budget looks like, more so, an example budget of a wedding organized with less than N500k budget? This is part 1 on the series in which I show you examples of budgets from small, low cost Nigerian weddings and in this post, you will discover how to plan a wedding in Nigeria with less than N500k (Five Hundred Thousand Naira) budget. You will get to see the expense items that made up the total wedding budget and how the costs were arrived at, such as the number of guests that attended, the type of reception venue used and the ways costs were saved during the wedding planning.
Total cost of the wedding: N485,400.00 (slightly over N400k)
Number of guests in attendance: 100
Now, the Details of this Under N500k Nigerian Wedding
Here’s the summary of this low cost Nigerian wedding:
Bride + Groom Expenses N114,500.00
Stationery + Souvenirs N35,000.00
Venue + Decor N60,000.00
Food + Drinks N135,000.00
Entertainment + Visuals N60,000.00
Below is the breakdown budget of the under N500k Nigerian wedding:
- Wedding Attire for Bride & Groom
- Wedding rings (bride + groom) – gold or gold plated (GL) N15,000.00
- Borrow/ rent a used or pre-owned wedding gown, bouquet, veil N20,000.00
- Bride’s shoes N7,500.00
- Bridal Accessories: earrings, necklace etc N10,000.00
- Bridal beauty: Hair/ Nails/ Makeup N15,000.00
- Groom’s Shoes N15,000.00
- Groom’s wedding suit N15,000.00
- Groom’s Accessories (e.g cuff links, belt, flower boutonniere/ pocket handkerchief) N15,000.00
- Groom’s Grooming (e.g haircut, beard shaving) N2,000.00
Stationery & Souvenirs
- Invitation cards & program printing N10,000.00
- Souvenirs to gift guests N25,000.00
Reception Venue & Decoration
- Venue (space is a free backyard) N0.00
- Venue rentals (canopy tents, chairs etc) N50,000.00
- Decoration: venue decor, bride n groom’s cars N10,000.00
Reception Food & Drinks
- Wedding Cake (caterer costed this at N150/ piece for each guest) N15,000.00
- Food (at (N1000/ serving) N100,000.00
- Drinks/ Juice/ Water (at N200/ guest) N20,000.00
Reception Entertainment & Visuals
- Photography (No videos; only photos) N40,000.00
- Master of Ceremony (MC) – done by a friend/ family member N0.00
- DJ only (no music band) N20,000.00
*Miscellaneous fund is calculated as 20% of entire wedding estimate above. (anything else or just-in-case of emergency).
Cost Consideration for this 100-Guests Wedding Budget
Small weddings are classy when planned with care. Recently, there’s the growing trend on small, intimate weddings in Nigeria, even among celebrity personalities – on-air personality, Toke Makinwa recently had a secret, small intimate wedding. Nollywoord actress, Stephanie Okereke also had a low-key (but expensive) wedding. Nigerian musician, Tiwa Savage, had her low-key wedding in Dubai And, there are lots of other Nigerian celebrities that had such weddings, And everyday, we are seeing more Nigerians go for small, intimate weddings.
Here’s how this couple saved costs on vendor services, while planning this small, low budget wedding:
- The wedding ceremony was at the court registry early in the morning with less than 20 close buddies, and the reception was in the afternoon
- Reception venue was the backyard of one of the couples parents
- The wedding guest list consisted of only close friends and family members
- The couple rented whatever they could, instead of buying new ones: the bride rented her wedding gown and bouquet
- They also asked friends and family to assist where necessary, instead of paying hired wedding vendors: the MC was a friend,
- The couple excluded some things, to reduce costs: they only paid for a photographer’s service, and excluded video coverage; they hired a DJ and didn’t bother to hire a music band; they didn’t bother with venue decoration, they simply used their table-cloths borrowed from parents and close friends;
Disclaimer: The above example wedding budget is only but a guide, and should not be used “just as it is” – feel free to customize, reduce from it or add to it, it to suit your particular situation. The wedding cost saving tips in this post will be helpful.
NOTE: This wedding budget example is took place in Nigeria and reflect prices of items in the Nigerian market. Also note that prices of wedding things in big stores, cities and high-brow neighborhoods are higher.
The above budgets exclude wedding planning services, not because they are unnecessary, but this article is especially for couples who are planning their wedding with the help of their family and friends in place of a wedding planner. We, here at NaijaGlamWedding, highly recommend using a wedding planner if you’re very busy and don’t have helpers around. So, please add the cost of a wedding planner to your budget, if you want it.
- Related: How to reduce cost of a wedding – part 1 here and part 2 here.
- Read also: Engagement List for Yoruba Traditional Wedding
Your Turn Now
I hope this post inspired you on how to go about the expenses for your small, intimate wedding. Be sure to read part 2 here – it’s an example of N700k small budget wedding in Nigeria.
So, now you have an idea about how to organize a low cost Nigerian wedding with less than N500k, using the sample budget above? What would you add or remove, assuming you have about or below N500k budget to spend on your own Nigerian wedding? Tell me in the comments box below.