Next, write down names of people you want to invite, as well as their address, email and/ or phone numbers (depending on the medium you want to use to send out the invites). Start from names of the most important people in your life. Some couples choose to invite the men and women who were their bridesmaids and groomsmen during their wedding – how cool is that!
The type of people to invite will depend on the type of party you plan to have. Some couples choose to have an intimate wedding anniversary party, where they invite their immediate family some of their closest friends or only their close families. But if you plan to have an ‘owambe’ (big party), your guest list will include more people. Decide upfront the type of people you want to invite.
- RELATED: How to draw up a party guest list: step by step
- ALSO: How to Use the Number of Guests to Know How Much a Party or Wedding Will Cost
When making a guest list for your wedding anniversary party, ensure not to invite more people than your budget can handle – keep in mind your food/ catering budget and the maximum number of guests your budget limits you to (see steps 2and 3 again). You also should be aware that your party venue has a limit on the number of people it can accommodate.
**NOTE: Invitation cards mailing is not the only use of the guest list. Good party hosting etiquette demands that you should send out thank you notes to guests after a party – via any medium – these days, people are using paper notes, bulk text messaging (sms) as well as emails and Facebook messaging to do this.
Step 6: Decide the Look and Feel of Your Party
How would you like the party? Will it be a formal or informal party? Will it be a small, private and intimate party or a big, owambe-style party? Do you want to throw a surprise anniversary party for your wife/ husband? Just free your creativity when deciding how your wedding anniversary party will be – there’s no right or wrong way here. It’s your party, so you should decide how you want it.
To help you out, here is a list of popular types of wedding anniversary parties in Nigeria include:
- Low-key: A casual get-together with a small group of friends and family
- Thanksgiving at the church, followed by a reception (party). You will need to inform the church in advance.
- A vow renewal (with friends at any location) followed by a reception
The type of anniversary party can even be as simple as a get-together with either close friends or only your immediate family members.
The reception party can be any of these types:
- An outdoor party in your backyard, a park or garden
- A restaurant or hotel party with meals and drinks provided as part of the service
- Any other location type, as your heart leads you