5. Wedding Anniversary Guest List
It’s time to think about the guests – who to invite and when to invite. From step 3 (above), you determined how many people you are limited (by your budget) to invite. You and your hubby/ wife certainly do not have exactly the same people as friends or family, so, it’s a good idea to invite some and let him/ her invite some. If you’ll have 100 people at the wedding anniversary party, why don’t you ask him to write out 50 names and you do the same.
First, write a list of guests, and later tick the names as you make out the invites. Some people start writing random names on invitation cards without first making a guest list – the danger is that you are likely to forget to send an invitation to a very important person, and later remember when you have run out of invitation cards. Note that the more guests you have, the more you will spend on food and drinks (and sometimes, you will spend more to get a bigger venue). So, write a guest list before writing the invitation cards.
Next, write down names of people you want to invite, as well as their address, email and/ or phone numbers (depending on the medium you want to use to send out the invites). Start from names of the most important people in your life. Some couples choose to invite men and women who were their bridesmaids and groomsmen during their wedding – how cool is that!
The type of people to invite will depend on the type of party you plan to have. Some couples choose to have an intimate wedding anniversary party, where they invite their immediate family some of their closest friends or only their close families. But if you plan to have an ‘owambe’ (big party), your guest list will include more people. Decide up front the type of people you want to invite.
- RELATED: Steps to Make a Party Guest List
When making a guest list for your wedding anniversary party, ensure not to invite more people than your budget can handle – keep in mind your food/ catering budget and the maximum number of guests your budget limits you to (see steps 2 and 3 again). You also should be aware that your party venue has a limit on the number of people it can accommodate.
**NOTE: Mailing of invitation cards is not the only use of the guest list. After your wedding anniversary party, use that invite-list to send out thank you notes or messages to guests. These days, couples are also using bulk sms (via phone), WhatsApp, emails and Facebook messaging to thank guests.
- READ ALSO: Reasons Why You Should Make a Guest List Before Inviting Anyone
- How to Reduce Your Guest List to an Affordable Number
6. Decide the Look and Feel of Your Wedding Anniversary Party
How would you like the party? Will it be a formal or informal party? Will it be a small, private and intimate party or a big, owambe-style party? Do you want to throw a surprise anniversary party for your wife/ husband? Just free your creativity when deciding how your wedding anniversary party will be – there’s no right or wrong way here. It’s your party, so you should decide how you want it.
To help you out, here is a list of popular types of wedding anniversary parties in Nigeria include:
- Low-key: A casual get-together with a small group of friends and family
- Thanksgiving at the church, followed by a reception (party). You will need to inform the church in advance.
- A vow renewal ceremony (with friends at any location) followed by a reception
The type of anniversary party can even be as simple as a get-together with either close friends or only your immediate family members.
The anniversary reception party can be any of these types:
- An outdoor party in your backyard, a park or garden
- A restaurant or hotel party with meals and drinks provided as part of the service
- Any other location type, as your heart leads you
How do you want your guests to dress?
Let’s talk about what your guests’ outfits. Would you want them to wear whatever they feel like or would there be a dress colour code or do you want your wedding anniversary guests to wear a particular aso-ebi colour and/ or fabric? If so, ensure to make that clear in the wedding anniversary invitation cards. You can inspiration from fashion photos on these pages:
- Aso-ebi Colour Combination Ideas
- New Gele and Bead Styles You Need to Know
- Aso-ebi and Ankara Styles
- Latest Madam-Blouse Styles
- Nigerian Men’s Occasion Outfit Ideas (Native-Wears)