Who else wants to see what a 500k Naira wedding budget looks like? Our readers have been asking to see samples and examples of Nigerian wedding budget. So, in this post, I’ll show you how expenses from a wedding organized with less than N500k budget? This is part 1 on the series in which I show you examples of budgets from small, low-cost Nigerian weddings.
You will get to see the different expense items that made up the total wedding cost, as well as how the money was spent – based on the number of guests that attended, the type of reception venue used and the ways costs were saved during the wedding planning.
Hopefully, seeing this sample real-life wedding spending will give you an idea on how to plan your own wedding in Nigeria with N500k (Five Hundred Thousand Naira) budget or slightly less (if that’s the budget you’re working with).
Total cost of the wedding: N485,400.00 (slightly over N400k) | Number of guests in attendance: 50
Now, the Details of this Under N500k Nigerian Wedding
Here’s the summary of this low cost Nigerian wedding:
- Bride + Groom Expenses N114,500.00
- Stationery + Souvenirs N35,000.00
- Venue + Decor N60,000.00
- Food + Drinks N135,000.00
- Entertainment + Visuals N60,000.00
Below is the breakdown budget of the under N500k Nigerian wedding:
Wedding Attire for Bride & Groom
- Wedding rings (bride + groom) – gold or gold plated (GL) N15,000.00
- Borrow/ rent a used or pre-owned wedding gown, bouquet, veil N20,000.00
- Bride’s shoes N7,500.00
- Bridal Accessories: earrings, necklace, etc N10,000.00
- Bridal beauty: Hair/ Nails/ Makeup N15,000.00
- Groom’s Shoes N15,000.00
- Groom’s wedding suit N15,000.00
- Groom’s Accessories (e.g cuff links, belt, flower boutonniere/ pocket handkerchief) N15,000.00
- Groom’s Grooming (e.g haircut, beard shaving) N2,000.00
Stationery & Souvenirs
- Invitation cards & program printing N10,000.00 (To save cost, most guests were invited via Whatsapp messaging and sms, and so not many invitation cards were printed).
- Souvenirs to gift guests N25,000.00
Reception Venue & Decoration
- Venue (space is a free backyard) N0.00
- Venue rentals (canopy tents, chairs, etc) N50,000.00
- Decoration: venue decor, bride n groom’s cars N10,000.00
Reception Food & Drinks
- Wedding Cake (caterer costed this at N300/ piece for each guest) N15,000.00
- Food (at (N2,000/ serving) N100,000.00
- Drinks/ Juice/ Water (at N400/ guest) N20,000.00
Reception Entertainment & Visuals
- Photography (No videos; only photos) N40,000.00
- Master of Ceremony (MC) – done by a friend/ family member N0.00
- DJ only (no music band) N20,000.00
*Miscellaneous fund is calculated as 20% of entire wedding estimate above. (anything else or just-in-case of emergency).
MORE WEDDING BUDGET SAMPLES YOU SHOULD SEE:
- See N700k Wedding Budget Sample
- N1m Wedding Budget Sample
- Wedding Budget Breakdowns from 6 Other Couples
- 300-Guest Wedding Budget Samples from 3 Couples
How They Saved Cost in their N1m Wedding Budget
Here’s how this couple saved costs on vendor services while planning this small, low budget wedding:
- The wedding ceremony was at the court registry early in the morning with less than 20 close buddies, and the reception was in the afternoon
- The reception venue was the backyard of one of the couple’s parents
- The wedding guest list consisted of only close friends and family members
- The couple rented whatever they could, instead of buying new ones: the bride rented her wedding gown and bouquet
- They also asked friends and family to assist where necessary, instead of paying hired wedding vendors: the MC was a friend,
- The couple excluded some things, to reduce costs: they only paid for a photographer’s service and excluded video coverage; they hired a DJ and didn’t bother to hire a music band; they didn’t bother with venue decoration, they simply used their table-cloths borrowed from parents and close friends;
Disclaimer: The above example wedding budget is only but a guide, and should not be used “just as it is” – feel free to customize, reduce from it or add to it, it to suit your particular situation. The wedding cost saving tips in this post will be helpful.
NOTE: The wedding with this example budget took place in Nigeria and their budget breakdown reflects the cost of items in the Nigerian market at the time. Also note that the cost of wedding things in big stores, cities and high-brow neighborhoods are higher than in smaller Nigerian cities.
The above budgets exclude wedding planning services, not because they are unnecessary, but this article is especially for couples who are planning their wedding with the help of their family and friends in place of a wedding planner. We, here at NaijaGlamWedding, highly recommend using a wedding planner if you’re very busy and don’t have close friends or relatives to help with planning activities. So, please add the cost of hiring a wedding planner to your budget, if you think you need one.
Update: The initial sample budget on this page was a N500k wedding that had 100 guests. It is no longer feasible to host that amount of guests at that cost, given the high increase in cost of everything, and so the sample wedding budget above has been updated to reflect the current reality.
- 9 Simple Steps to Cut Wedding Cost and Still Have Quality
- Save Wedding Costs: 9 Smart Ideas for Planning a Low Budget Nigerian Wedding.
- Yoruba Traditional Engagement List and Bride Price
- Igbo Traditional Marriage List and Bride Price
- Edo (Eshan) Traditional Engagement List
Why You Shouldn’t Be Ashamed of Having a Low-Cost or Small Wedding
Some couples consider a N500k wedding budget as small, and some brides are ashamed to say that they are having a small wedding. That’s wrong because with Nigerian weddings size no longer matters. Think about wealthy Nigerian celebrities having small weddings.
There’s nothing to be ashamed of small weddings. What really matters is the quality of your wedding, and how well-planned your guests perceive it. a small wedding that had guests all well wed, in a non-stuffy venue and served good music is better than a shabby big wedding.
Small weddings are classy when properly planned. Recently, there’s the growing trend on small, intimate weddings in Nigeria, celebrities who have small intimate weddings include: singer, Simi and Adekunle Gold, Tuface and Annie Idibia, Nollywood actress Stephanie Okereke, and the list goes on and on. On-air personality, Toke Makinwa had a secret, small intimate wedding.
Nollywood actress, Stephanie Okereke also had a low-key (but expensive) wedding. Nigerian musician, Tiwa Savage, had her low-key wedding in Dubai And, there are lots of other Nigerian celebrities that had such weddings, And every day, we are seeing more Nigerians go for small, intimate weddings.
Conclusion: Your N1m Wedding Budget Sample
I hope this sample budget has given you insights on how to go about planning your own N500k wedding. I expect you to tweak this sample budget to suit your taste and priority. Go out and do a market research, talk to potential vendors and get the price of wedding items and services in your area, and then plug it in. The idea for this post is just to give you a guide and starting point.
So, now you have an idea about how to organize a low-cost Nigerian wedding with less than N500k, using the sample budget above? What would you add or remove, assuming you have about or below N500k budget to spend on your own Nigerian wedding? Tell me in the comments box below.