When starting to plan their wedding, many brides struggle with the budget planning side of things. Saying how much you will spend overall is easy, but what and what will you use the money for. You still need to make a list of expenses (or budget list) to show what you’ll spend your wedding budget on.
You could list a few things and then get stuck. You know you can’t jump this step because you need this budget list (or expense list) to estimate the real cost of your wedding. Also, making this list upfront will help you know how to manage your spending to stay on-budget.
Questions like these race through your mind: What are you supposed to buy or rent/ hire? What kind of professional services are you supposed to budget for? You wish someone would just give you a typical list of things people buy when preparing for a wedding.
If that sounds like you, first I want to assure you that you’re not alone. Many brides also start out clueless when listing the expenses involved in a wedding?
I can help you. In this post, I’ll give you our printable wedding list of typical wedding expenses (or budget list), in other words – a list of things to budget for. It’s a complete list of things you need to buy for a wedding in Nigeria. It also includes a list of rental items and services to hire for a wedding. Swipe or scroll down to see it.
Newly engaged brides-to-be always ask me: ‘What should be in my wedding list of things to buy? What are the list of items to rent and what is the list of wedding professionals to hire?’
I am going to answer all that in this post. Just call this post your wedding shopping list or budget list. In my post on ‘how to set a wedding budget‘, one of the steps was to make a breakdown of things you’ll be spending the budget money on – this post gives you that breakdown. Swipe or scroll down to continue.
Example of Typical Wedding Expenses to Plan and Budget For
One of the best ways to make a wedding budget list is to ask newlyweds or a wedding planner for the typical things couples spend on during their Nigerian weddings. But what if you don’t have anyone around to ask, and you don’t want to forget a single thing last minute!
In this post, I will show you a complete list of things needed for a wedding (budget list). They are the typical things Nigerian brides budget for and buy for their weddings. Feel free to copy, modify and use the list to arrive at your own wedding budget. So, read on to see the list.
This section will show you a list of items to buy, things to rent, and wedding vendor services to budget for when preparing for a wedding in Nigeria. They’re the expenses involved in weddings – a list of things to buy when preparing for a wedding in Nigeria.
Below is an example of a wedding budget list – this is the list of expenses that will make up your wedding cost. So, you can also call this your wedding expense list or list of things to buy for your wedding, some people call it the wedding shopping list.
Below is just an example, as some couples include more items in their wedding shopping list, while others choose to keep it basic – it all depends on whether you plan to have a low-key wedding or big wedding.
Here, below is a sample list of things to budget for and buy for your wedding:
A. Couple’s Wedding Rings
- Wedding rings (bride + groom) ___________
- Wedding ring box or pillow ___________
B. Bride’s Attire and Accessories
- Buy new or rent a used or pre-owned wedding gown ___________
- Bride’s shoes ___________
- Bridal Accessories: flower bouquet, veil, bridal robe & wedding day underwears/ undergarments, Headties/ Gele, etc. _______
- Bridal beauty: Hair stylist’s charge / Nails/ Makeup artist service charge/ fee ___________
- Bride’s jewelry (necklace, earrings, hair decorations/ accesories) _______
C. Groom’s Attire and Accessories
- Groom’s Shoes _______________
- Groom’s wedding suit ___________
- Groom’s Accessories (e.g cuff links, belt etc) ___________
- Flower boutonniere/ pocket handkerchief ___________
- Groom’s Grooming (e.g haircut, beard shaving) ___________
RELATED: Wedding Suit Style Guide for Grooms to Dress Sharper | 8 Must-Have Wedding Suit Accessories
D. Wedding Stationery and Souvenirs You Need to Order or Buy
- (Printing of) wedding invitation cards and program ___________
- Souvenirs/ Wedding favors to gift guests (optional) ___________
- Gifts and gift boxes for your bridesmaids (optional) ____________
- Gifts for groomsmen (optional) ________________________
E. Reception Venue and Decoration
- Wedding Venue cost ___________________________________________
- Venue Decoration _____________________________________________
F. Wedding Reception Food and Drinks: List of Things to Buy
- Food (ask a caterer for how much it will cost or Buy Ingredients if cooking in-house) __________
- Wedding Cake ___________________
- Small chops (optional) _____________
- Drinks/ Juice/ Water ______________
H. Wedding Day Transportation
- Car and bus hire to transport the bride, groom and wedding party (bridesmaids, groomsmen, parents), close relatives and VIP guests to/ from wedding venues ___________
I. Rentals (You may require some or all items here, depending on whether your venue that has everything or lacing some)
- Chairs and Tables Rental (if the venue has none or does not have enough) _______
- Canopy tents rental (if you’re having an outdoor venues)
- Audio equipment: Speakers, Microphones
- Generator (for backup or outdoor venue electricity)
- Other(s): ______________________
J. Vendors: List of Wedding Professions to Hire
- Photography & Video Coverage __________
- Master of Ceremony (MC) _____________
- DJ _____________________________
- Live Music Band _______________________
- Wedding planner services (optional): Specify whether you want full planning or partial planning (aka wedding day coordination services) ___________
- Ushers ________________________
- Food servers ____________________
- Makeup Artist
- Security/ Bouncers (if you plan to restrict entry by having a strictly by invitations situation) __________
K. Miscellaneous (reserved fund, in case of emergency) _______________ [This is an amount of extra money you should keep aside, in case of emergency or anything that later arises).
So, YOUR TOTAL WEDDING BUDGET is __________________ (Now, add up all the amounts you wrote in the spaces beside each wedding expense name (above). This total amount is the expected total cost of your wedding).
That’s it for our wedding budget checklist of expenses for planning a Nigerian white wedding. Be sure to read the article that covers the traditional wedding budget items list.
HOW TO USE THE ABOVE WEDDING BUDGET LIST (EXPENSE LIST):
- Print out this post
- Do price research to know the actual price of things in your wedding expense list. Don’t guess the price of things. Ask around to get prices for each item in this ‘list of wedding things to buy’. Ensure to ask for varying prices for each item.
- Fill prices in the DASHED spaces beside each list. Write the price range – the high, the low. Some things are usually more expensive for being a better quality or have more features. Note that in your wedding planning book.
- Add up the costs and what you have in your total wedding budget
- If the total cost is higher than the wedding budget you planned, adjust things by picking lower-priced items for some things and add up again to see if the totals are now within your planned budget. Read more 21 tips on how to avoid spending above your wedding budget.
- The easiest way to cut down a wedding budget is to reduce your guest count which cuts down your food and drinks cost. So, try by cutting guest count a bit and see how that pushes down your cost. If needed, do this again until you get a desirable total wedding cost. I explained more about this in another post => How to Reduce Wedding Guest List to Fit Your Budget
HELPFUL WEDDING BUDGET PLANNING AND MONEY-SAVING IDEAS:
- How to Set a Wedding Budget in 6 Steps
- Everything About How to Plan a Wedding and Save Cost
- Wedding Pre-Planning Questionnaire/ Quiz for About-to-Wed Couples – this will help you flesh out how to go about your wedding. Highly recommended.
- How to Plan an Inexpensive Wedding in Nigeria (19 Ideas)
- Answers to Common Questions Couples Ask on Wedding Budgeting
How to Know Your Total Wedding Expenses Using Your Budget List
Print out the wedding budget list above and use it to record/ write down every single thing you spend money on. After your wedding, you should add up the costs you had recorded, and the result is your total wedding expenses and the cost of your wedding.
Conclusion: Set a Budget and Make a Wedding Budget List Before Buying Anything
No two weddings can be the same in terms of how much the couples will spend. Different couples have different priorities and differ on how much money they have available to spend on their wedding.
If you want to avoid overspending for your wedding, start from setting a budget. That will give you a spending limit when totalling costs in your wedding budget list. If you haven’t done so already, use the steps in our post on how to set a wedding budget.
So, this wedding budget list is the list of basic expense items in many Nigerian style weddings. Feel free to add more items or remove from the above Nigerian wedding shopping budget list, to suit your personal wedding taste and style.
My advice: It’s a good idea to print this wedding budget list and keep a copy in your handbag so that it will be easy to find whenever you are shopping or negotiating with a wedding service vendor.
So, that’s it for the list of things a bride needs to budget for and buy when planning for a Nigerian wedding. The list also includes a list of things to rent and wedding vendors to hire for your big day. I hope you enjoyed reading the post.
MORE WEDDING PLANNING POSTS YOU’LL LIKE
- Complete White Wedding Planning Checklist: 12 Months Timeline
- How to Plan a Wedding in 3 Months (90 Days Wedding Planning Checklist)
- How to Plan a Simple Wedding in 1 Month (30 Days Checklist) – for those who want to get married Sharp-Sharp
- 6 Months Wedding Planning Checklist for those who can’t wait for 1 year
- Nigerian Traditional Wedding Planning Checklist
If you’re yet to start shopping for your big day, just print out the above list of things to buy for a wedding and tick off items when you go shopping. Remember to record the prices you paid beside each item.
Have you already started buying things for your wedding? If so, what is different from your list and the above list in this post? Comment down below to share with us what’s on your wedding shopping list. I’ll be waiting to discuss with you on the comments side.