When starting to plan their wedding, many brides struggle with the budget planning side of things. Saying how much you will spend overall is easy, but it’s hard to make a list of what to spend that money on without skipping some important wedding things. After setting a budget, you still need to make a list of expenses (or budget list) to show what you’ll spend your wedding budget on. I’ve saved you the trouble and provided you a list of the common Nigerian wedding expenses below.
In this post, I’ll give you our printable list of typical things to buy when preparing for a Nigerian wedding; in other words, a list of things to budget for. It’s a complete list of things you need to buy for a wedding in Nigeria. It also includes a list of rental items and vendor services to hire for a wedding. Swipe or scroll down to see it.
Examples of Typical Wedding Expenses in Nigeria (Budget List for Planning)
Below is just an example of a wedding budget list (or expenses list or shopping list), as some couples include more items while others choose to keep it basic – it all depends on whether you plan to have a low-key wedding or big wedding. Feel free to use and tweak this Nigerian wedding expenses list below to arrive at your very own expenses list.
Here, below is a sample list of things (expenses) to budget for and buy for your wedding:
A. Couple’s Wedding Rings
- Wedding rings (bride and groom) ___________
- Wedding ring box or pillow ___________
B. Bride’s Attire and Accessories
- Buy new or rent a used or pre-owned wedding gown ___________
- Bride’s shoes ___________
- Bridal Accessories: flower bouquet, veil, bridal robe & wedding day underwears/ undergarments, Headties/ Gele, etc. _______
- Bridal beauty: Hair stylist’s charge / Nails/ Makeup artist service charge/ fee ___________
- Bride’s jewelry (necklace, earrings, hair decorations/ accesories) _______
C. Groom’s Attire and Accessories
- Groom’s Shoes _______________
- Groom’s wedding suit ___________
- Groom’s Accessories (e.g cuff links, belt etc) ___________
- Flower boutonniere/ pocket handkerchief ___________
- Groom’s Grooming (e.g haircut, beard shaving) ___________
RELATED: Wedding Suit Style Guide for Grooms to Dress Sharper | 8 Must-Have Wedding Suit Accessories
D. Wedding Stationery and Souvenirs You Need to Order or Buy
- (Printing of) wedding invitation cards and program ___________
- Souvenirs/ Wedding favors to gift guests (optional) ___________
- Gifts and gift boxes for your bridesmaids (optional) ____________
- Gifts for groomsmen (optional) ________________________
E. Reception Venue and Decoration
- Wedding Venue cost ___________________________________________
- Venue Decoration _____________________________________________
F. Wedding Reception Food and Drinks: List of Things to Buy
- Food (ask a caterer for how much it will cost or Buy Ingredients if cooking in-house) __________
- Wedding Cake ___________________
- Small chops (optional) _____________
- Drinks/ Juice/ Water ______________
H. Wedding Day Transportation
- Car and bus hire to transport the bride, groom and wedding party (bridesmaids, groomsmen, parents), close relatives and VIP guests to/ from wedding venues ___________
I. Rentals (You may require some or all items here, depending on whether your venue that has everything or lacing some)
- Chairs and Tables Rental (if the venue has none or does not have enough) _______
- Canopy tents rental (if you’re having an outdoor venues)
- Audio equipment: Speakers, Microphones
- Power Generator (for backup or outdoor venue electricity)
- Other(s): ______________________
J. Vendors: List of Wedding Professions to Hire
- Photography & Video Coverage __________
- Master of Ceremony (MC) _____________
- DJ _____________________________
- Live Music Band _______________________
- Wedding planner services (optional): Specify whether you want full planning or partial planning (aka wedding day coordination services) ___________
- Ushers ________________________
- Food servers ____________________
- Makeup Artist
- Security/ Bouncers (if you plan to restrict entry by having a strictly by invitations situation) __________
K. Miscellaneous (reserved fund, in case of emergency) _______________ [This is an amount of extra money you should keep aside, in case of emergency or anything that later arises).
So, YOUR TOTAL WEDDING BUDGET is __________________ (Now, add up all the amounts you wrote in the spaces beside each wedding expense name (above). This total amount is the expected total cost of your wedding).
That’s it for our wedding budget checklist of expenses for planning a Nigerian white wedding. Be sure to read the article that covers the traditional wedding budget items list.
HOW TO USE THE ABOVE WEDDING BUDGET LIST (EXPENSES LIST):
- Print out this post
- Do price research to know the actual price of things in your wedding expense list. Don’t guess the price of things. Ask around to get prices for each item in this ‘list of wedding things to buy’. Ensure to ask for varying prices for each item.
- Fill prices in the DASHED spaces beside each list. Write the price range – the high, the low. Some things are usually more expensive for being a better quality or have more features. Note that in your wedding planning book.
- Add up the costs and what you have in your total wedding budget
- If the total cost is higher than the wedding budget you planned, adjust things by picking lower-priced items for some things and add up again to see if the totals are now within your planned budget. Read more 21 tips on how to avoid spending above your wedding budget.
- The easiest way to cut down a wedding budget is to reduce your guest count which cuts down your food and drinks cost. So, try by cutting guest count a bit and see how that pushes down your cost. If needed, do this again until you get a desirable total wedding cost. I explained more about this in another post => How to Reduce Wedding Guest List to Fit Your Budget
Why You Can’t Skip Making a Wedding Budget List
Newly engaged brides always ask me questions like: Now I am engaged, what are the list of things to buy for my wedding? I need a list of items to rent and a list of wedding professionals to hire?’ In my post on ‘how to make a wedding budget‘, one of the steps was to make a breakdown of things you’ll be spending the budget money on – this post gives you that breakdown. You can’t skip this step because you need a budget list (or expense list) to estimate the real cost of your wedding.
Also, making a list of expenses (in advance) will help you know how to manage your spending so that do not overspend. Hopefully this post helps you start off with making a list of things you need for your wedding (budget list). They are the typical things Nigerian brides budget for and buy for weddings.
I always recommend that before spending a dime, couples first breakdown their wedding budget in order to allocate amounts to each expense areas. I created a free wedding budget calculator tool that automatically does this for you. Use it and you’ll find that 90% of the above budget list is filled out for you automatically. All you have to do is type in your budget amount, and it displays your budget breakdown list which you can tweak to suit you.
HELPFUL WEDDING BUDGET PLANNING AND MONEY-SAVING IDEAS:
- How to Set a Wedding Budget in 6 Steps
- Everything About How to Plan a Wedding and Save Cost
- Wedding Pre-Planning Questionnaire/ Quiz for About-to-Wed Couples – this will help you flesh out how to go about your wedding. Highly recommended.
- How to Plan an Inexpensive Wedding in Nigeria (19 Ideas)
- Answers to Common Questions Couples Ask on Wedding Budgeting
How to Know Your Total Wedding Expenses Using Your Budget List
Print out the wedding budget list above and use it to record/ write down every single thing you spend money on. After your wedding, you should add up the costs you had recorded, and the result is your total wedding expenses and the cost of your wedding.
Conclusion: Set a Budget and Make a Wedding Budget List Before Buying Anything
No two weddings can be the same in terms of how much the couples will spend. Different couples have different priorities and differ on how much money they have available to spend on their wedding.
If you want to avoid overspending for your wedding, start from setting a budget. That will give you a spending limit when totaling costs in your wedding budget list. If you haven’t done so already, use the steps in our post on how to set a wedding budget.
So, this wedding budget list is the list of basic expense items in many Nigerian style weddings. Feel free to add more items or remove from the above Nigerian wedding shopping budget list, to suit your personal wedding taste and style.
My advice: It’s a good idea to print this wedding budget list and keep a copy in your handbag so that it will be easy to find whenever you are shopping or negotiating with a wedding service vendor.
MORE WEDDING PLANNING POSTS YOU’LL LIKE
- Complete White Wedding Planning Checklist: 12 Months Timeline
- How to Plan a Wedding in 3 Months (90 Days Wedding Planning Checklist)
- How to Plan a Simple Wedding in 1 Month (30 Days Checklist) – for those who want to get married Sharp-Sharp
- 6 Months Wedding Planning Checklist for those who can’t wait for 1 year
- Nigerian Traditional Wedding Planning Checklist
There you have it on the things to include in your wedding budget list (or expenses list). Now you know what makes up a list of things a bride needs to budget for and buy when preparing for a Nigerian wedding. You can see that it also includes a list of things to rent and wedding vendors to hire for your big day. I hope you enjoyed reading the post.
If you’re yet to start shopping for your big day, just print out the above list of things to buy for a wedding and tick off items when you go shopping. Remember to record the prices you paid beside each item.
Have you already started buying things for your wedding? If so, what is different from your list and the above list in this post? Comment down below to share with us what’s on your wedding shopping list. I’ll be waiting to discuss with you on the comments side.