If you’re newly engaged or just started planning your wedding, it’s normal to be clueless about what to buy and what’s really needed. Not to worry, in this post, I’ll give you our printable and complete wedding list of things you need to buy for a wedding in Nigeria. How do you make a wedding budget list to use in estimating the cost of your upcoming Nigerian wedding? What is the list of things needed to be bought for a wedding? Swipe or scroll down to find out.
Newly engaged brides-to-be always ask me: ‘What should be in my wedding list of things to buy? What are the list of items to rent and what is the list of wedding professionals to hire?’ I am going to answer all that in this post. Just call this post your wedding shopping list or budget list. Swipe or scroll down to continue.
Complete List of Things Needed for a Wedding: Example of Typical Expenses to Plan For
One of the best ways to make a wedding budget list is to ask newlyweds or a wedding planner for the typical things couples spend on during their Nigerian weddings. But what if you don’t have anyone around to ask, and you don’t want to forget a single thing last minute! In this post, I will show you a complete list of things needed for a wedding (budget list). They are the typical things Nigerian brides budget for and buy for their weddings. Feel free to copy, modify and use the list to arrive at your own wedding budget. So, read on to see the list.
This section will show you a list of items to buy, things to rent, and wedding vendor services to budget for when preparing for a wedding in Nigeria. They’re the expenses involved in weddings – a list of things to buy when preparing for a wedding in Nigeria. Below is an example of a wedding budget list – this is the list of expenses that will make up your wedding cost. So, you can also call this your wedding expense list or list of things to buy for your wedding, some people call it the wedding shopping list. Below is just an example, as some couples include more items in their wedding shopping list, while others choose to keep it basic – it all depends on whether you plan to have a low-key wedding or big wedding.
Here, below is the list of things you need to budget for and buy for your wedding:
A. Couple’s Wedding Rings
- Wedding rings (bride + groom) ___________
- Wedding ring box or pillow ___________
B. Bride’s Attire and Accessories
- Buy new or rent a used or pre-owned wedding gown ___________
- Bride’s shoes ___________
- Bridal Accessories: flower bouquet, veil, bridal robe & wedding day underwears/ undergarments, Headties/ Gele, etc. _______
- Bridal beauty: Hair stylist’s charge / Nails/ Makeup artist service charge/ fee ___________
- Bride’s jewelry (necklace, earrings, hair decorations/ accesories) _______
C. Groom’s Attire and Accessories
- Groom’s Shoes _______________
- Groom’s wedding suit ___________
- Groom’s Accessories (e.g cuff links, belt etc) ___________
- Flower boutonniere/ pocket handkerchief ___________
- Groom’s Grooming (e.g haircut, beard shaving) ___________
D. Wedding Stationery and Souvenirs You Need to Order or Buy
- (Printing of) wedding invitation cards and program ___________
- Souvenirs/ Wedding favors to gift guests (optional) ___________
- Gifts and gift boxes for your bridesmaids (optional) ____________
- Gifts for groomsmen (optional) ________________________
E. Reception Venue and Decoration: List of Things to Rent
- Wedding Venue cost ___________________________________________
- Venue Decoration _____________________________________________
- Chairs and Tables Rental (if the venue has none or does not have enough) _______
- Canopy tents rental (if you’re having an outdoor venues)
F. Wedding Reception Food and Drinks: List of Things to Buy
- Food (ask a caterer for how much it will cost or Buy Ingredients if cooking in-house) __________
- Wedding Cake ___________________
- Small chops (optional) _____________
- Drinks/ Juice/ Water _________________
G. Reception Entertainment and Visuals: List of Wedding Professional Services to Hire
- Photography & Video Coverage __________
- Master of Ceremony (MC) _____________
- DJ _______________
- Music Band _________
H. Wedding Day Transportation
- Car and bus hire to transport bride, groom and wedding party (bridesmaids, groomsmen, parents), close relatives and VIP guests to/ from wedding venues ___________
I. Other Vendors: Optional List of Wedding Professions to Hire
- Wedding planner services ___________
- Ushers _______________
- Food servers ___________
- Security/ Bouncers (if you plan to restrict entry by having a strictly by invitations situation) __________
J. Miscellaneous (reserved fund, in case of emergency) _______________ [This is an amount of extra money you should keep aside, in case of emergency or anything that later arises).
So, YOUR TOTAL WEDDING BUDGET is: __________________ (Now, add up all the amounts you wrote in the spaces beside each wedding expense name (above). This total amount is the expected total cost of your wedding).
That’s it for our wedding budget checklist of expenses for planning a Nigerian white wedding. Be sure to read the article that covers the traditional wedding budget items list.
HOW TO USE THE ABOVE WEDDING BUDGET/ SHOPPING LIST:
- Print out this post
- Ask around to get prices for each item in this ‘list of wedding things to buy’
- Fill prices in the DASHED spaces beside each list
- Add up the costs and what you have in your total wedding budget.
HELPFUL WEDDING BUDGET PLANNING AND MONEY-SAVING IDEAS:
- How to Plan a Wedding on a Small Budget
- Wedding Pre-Planning Questionnaire/ Quiz for About-to-Wed Couples – this will help you flesh out how to go about your wedding. Highly recommended.
- 8 Low-Key Wedding Planning Ideas
- How to Plan a Big Girls Wedding on Low Budget
How to Know Your Total Wedding Expenses Using Your Wedding Budget List
Print out the wedding budget list above and use it to record/ write down every single thing you spend money on. After your wedding, you should add up the costs you had recorded, and the result is your total wedding expenses and the cost of your wedding.
How Not to Overshoot Your Budget When Buying Things for Wedding
There are two things I tell my brides to do, to ensure that they do not overspend when buying things for their wedding.
- Before you spend a kobo buying anything, set a spending limit (budget). I wrote a step by step process on how to make your wedding budget;
- Next, breakdown that amount/ wedding budget to give you an idea of how much to allocate for every item in your wedding list of things to buy. This step also ensures that you do not overspend – similar to how a woman makes a list of things to buy (with amounts on each item) before going to the market.
One of the first things to do when planning a wedding is to set a budget, based on how much you (the couple) can afford to spend. But that’s just a figure, right? You don’t just take your entire wedding money to the market to start shopping (that’s dumb). You have to first sit down to make a wedding shopping list of things to buy, services to hire and how much to spend on each. A wedding budget list is simply a shopping list of every possible expense you are likely to spend on your wedding. Some couples also like to peep at sample wedding budgets breakdown of other Nigerian couples, to pick one or two ideas.
More articles we wrote to help you as you plan your wedding budget:
- White Wedding Planning Checklist
- Traditional Wedding Checklist
- Nigerian wedding budget calculator – this one is a hands-free way to automatically determine a breakdown of how much you should allocate to/ spend on different areas of your wedding event. Doing a breakdown of your budget will help you know your spending limits when buying items on your wedding list. It basically helps you not to overspend.
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions on Wedding Budgets – Read this post to find answers to any questions you have about the wedding budget.
Conclusion: Make a Wedding Budget List Before Buying Anything
No two weddings can be the same in terms of how much the couples will spend, because different couples have different priorities as well as are different in how much money that is available for them to spend. So, this wedding budget list is the list of basic expense items in many Nigerian style weddings. Feel free to add more items or remove from the above Nigerian wedding shopping budget list, to suit your personal wedding taste and style.
My advice: It’s a good idea to print this wedding budget list and keep a copy in your handbag so that it will be easy to find whenever you are shopping or negotiating with a wedding service vendor.
So, that’s it for the list of things a bride needs to budget for and buy when planning for a Nigerian wedding. The list also includes a list of things to rent and wedding vendors to hire for your big day. I hope you enjoyed reading the post.
MORE WEDDING PLANNING POSTS YOU’LL LIKE
- How to Guarantee Your Wedding Will Go Perfectly As Planned
- Complete White Wedding Planning Checklist: 12 Months Timeline
- 3 Months Wedding Planning Checklist for those who want to get married Sharp-Sharp
- 6 Months Wedding Planning Checklist for those who can’t wait for 1 year
- How to Plan a Traditional and White Wedding Same Day
If you’re yet to start shopping for your big day, just print out the above list of things to buy for a wedding and tick off items when you go shopping. Remember to record the prices you paid beside each item. Have you already started buying things for your wedding? If so, what is different from your list and the above list in this post? Comment down below to share with us what’s on your wedding shopping list. I’ll be waiting to discuss with you on the comments side.