10. Assign Some Planning Responsibilities with Your Fiance: Agree on who pays for what, and who does what – between bride and groom (planning roles & responsibilities). It’s also time to ‘beg’ parents and close family for financial support or kind contributions
11. Choose your Attendants/ Bridal Party – i.e. bridesmaids & groomsmen, and optional flower girls and ring-bearer (boy). Make a list of the people you want to be in your bridal party, and inform them. [Ensure to get familiar with the things that bridesmaids are really supposed to do for a bride – read our essential Guide to Bridesmaid Duties and Responsibilities].
7 to 9 Months to Go: White Wedding Checklist
- Book Venue: Select and book wedding venue for the religious ceremony as well as the reception
- Book vendors (cake, caterer, venue decorator, photographer, videographer, invitation cards printer, wedding car hire and drivers, makeup artist, hairstylist, Gele Headtie Artist, MC, DJ and/ or Live Music Band, etc.)
- Engagement Shoot/ Pre-Wedding Photo Sessions: Have an engagement photo-shoot and share on social media, as well as share with any Nigerian wedding blog like NaijaGlamWedding, BellaNaija, and others. >Before the day of the engagement photoshoot arrives, decide on your outfit changes, the photographer and outdoor location for the shoot.
- Wedding Website (Optional) Create your own custom couples’ Wedding Website to announce the wedding, tell your how-we-met story and marriage proposal story, and also provide wedding details including date/ venue/ directions and more.
- Shop for Wedding Rings for bride and groom – see pictures of assorted of trendy wedding rings, to get an idea of the bridal rings to buy;
- Book Rentals: Book wedding day rentals (canopy tents, chairs, tables, etc.); Book ushers & servers.
- Research honeymoon destination and place
- Purchase your wedding gown, veil & lingerie, shapewear
- Have your bridesmaids purchase their dresses
- Book honeymoon accommodation & transport (& process visas, if necessary)
- Start shopping for trad wedding attire & logistics
- Shop for wedding favours/ souvenirs
- Have groom and groomsmen purchase their wedding suits
4 to 6 Months to Go: White Wedding Checklist
1. Customary Marriage Introduction and Traditional Engagement: Arrange to have the customary marriage introduction and traditional engagement ceremonies. The usual location for these customary marriage rites is at the bride’s family house. >I created a detailed Nigerian traditional wedding checklist to keep you organized.
2. Get the mothers and fathers shop for their attires;
3. Shop for bridal accessories (shoes, jewelry, headpiece, bouquet, etc);
4. Finalize venue decoration design details and wedding hall seating arrangement;
5. Purchase drinks and food (for in-house caterers);
6. Have bridesmaids shop for their accessories;
7. Write out the wedding day itinerary and hand it over to your bridesmaids, groomsmen, and vendors – so everyone knows the order of things and can help here and there;
8. Start addressing the invitation cards;
9. Confirm bridesmaids & groomsmen outfits & accessories are ready & fit well;